Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Brent's 2nd Letter from Brazil CTM

Hello everyone,

So to start my letter I would like to tell everyone a sad fact. I can only open emails from someone in my immediate family so if you want to send me an email please email it to my Dad at Keith@inpnet.org (please send any e-mails to Brent to keith.parsons@me.com with the word BRENT in the subject line and I'll forward them directly on) and I am sure he will be kind enough to forward it to me and will also be kind enough to not read it, right dad? If you have already wrote me an email ýou didnt know that so I read it don't worry, just for future notice send them to my parents first.


On that note I don't have enough time each week on the computer to write back to everyone that wrote me (and I can only write emails to my immediate family as well, yes I know how stupid it is and have spent many an hour frustrated about it, but they say 100% obedience brings blessings but it looks like "blessings" in Brazil means a punch in the groin of frustration), but please keep writing!Thank you to everyone who wrote me! It seriously helps time go by so much faster. I hold the mailbox key for my district so after lunch and dinner each day we crowd around the mailbox and make bets on who gets the most letters...I have won several times and it is all because of the you hard workers on the home front.


Oh yeah missionties is working perfect, thanks Mom and Dad for setting that up.


Karrissa your letter was hilarious, I laughed out loud probably 8 or 9 times (wipe that smile off your face). But seriously, well done and please keep them coming.


Thank you for writing me Aunt Linda, it was definitely a surprise to get emails from you but I am really glad you wrote me and thank you for your words of encouragement.


Thank you to everyone else who wrote me, it is much appreciated.


Life at the CTM is pretty ridiculous sometimes. I am in charge of the biggest district here (12 guys now, we picked up two more that had visa problems). Most districts have 6-8 guys. It is really annoying actually because most districts can easily get together with everyone but it is hard to get all 12 guys together on p day or something to go walk around the streets.

Speaking of that, São Paulo is huge. It is ridiculous. One of the best parts of the CTM is the view out of my window. We are on the fifth floor and we can look out and about two miles away is downtown São Paulo. The building stretch across the entire horizon and you cant see where they end, it is awesome. I will probably send pictures later, but it is kind of hard to see them on my camera. Oh yeah that reminds me, all the pics I take will just be of the MTC and what I can see from my window because we are not allowed to take our cameras outside of the CTM, it sucks...really bad. So many rules.

So Elder Blackham and I have been keeping a running total of how many times we climb the stairs from the bottom floor to our fifth story room (It's one of those things that we do to keep ourselves sane...like trying to sneak past the motion sensor lights in the stairwell or pretend to hate a companionship in your district for a few hours). You can only use the elevator on your first and last day, to help with the luggage. I think it is the CTM's anti-fat law. It doesn't work unfortunately. Anyway, as of the climb down to come here to write you we have got up/down the stairs 134 times. So much. My legs always hurt.

We got Brazilian roommates this week and they are really cool. The language is really annoying to learn and I can never remember words that I learned like five minutes before, but the Brazilians will help because they like to teach us how to speak Portuguese and we teach them english. Oh dad, you pronounce "boa noite" "bo-a noy-ch".

Speaking of the language I was having a really hard time last week with pronunciation. So i finally got sick of it and started talking in my Mexican accent. My teacher said that I must have been constantly practicing outside of class because my pronunciation was better than anyone in the class except my companion. It was hilarious. So I guess I just need to be a mexican speaking portuguese to master this language.


It is really hard to think of things to say because everyday literally is the same. They say that time goes by really fast here but I think it is only because if you look back it all just seems like one day.


Oh well, sorry this letter was pretty boring and not so funny. I really just go to class everyday and eat with a periodic break three times a week for a basketball game that would look like a special ed game to someone on the outside. We are all so terrible it is so funny. But it is fun.


I'll write again next tuesday, please keep the letters coming. Oh I just heard that the letters for missionties will only be delivered on wednesdays, not the days you guys send them. It is so stupid. Apparently missionaries were getting multiple letters everyday so they wouldn't focus on the work. Which is stupid because it takes 10 min to read the letters and we have 8-10 hours of class everyday. Cant we have a 10 min break warden? Oh well, love you guys and I really miss you but I know I am here doing the right thing.


Love you,


-Brent


P.S. Have fun in Moses lake family! Let me know how it goes. Man I sound like such a missionary in my emails I hate it.

1 comment:

Gram said...

Yes, you do sound like a missionary and we love it. You are obeying the rules even if you don't understand the reason, but you will be blessed for the obedience in ways you don't know. I had to laugh at the Mexican accent Portugese. Keep up the good work trying with the language, rules and large district. Love you Brent!