Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another Week in Brazil

This week it rained like crazy. Like seriously. The other night E. Almeida and I were waiting outside one of our recent converts' houses for him to get home when all of the sudden it started raining like crazy and we ended up hiding under this little building overhang while standing up on this step because it was raining so much that the water started rising in the street. We ended up standing on that little step together for 2 hours because our RC never showed up and we couldn't move! It was slightly irritating...but kind of cool too.

Right now we are teaching those two brothers that I told about last week (with that horribly annoying girl that went crazy in sacrament meeting and who, fortunately, didn't show up to church this week with them). They really are so cool and so humble. They just keep saying how they are so happy they finally found the way to follow God and Jesus Christ that they have been searching for for a while. I always get happy when we show up there because they are just so humble and happy that you can't stay mad while you are there.


Actually...that's not quite true. I did show up there angry once this week because my companion and I had a bit of a tussle before we went there this week. I'll simplify the fight into a few short sentences. He wanted to go visit someone on the far side of our area because they "have really good water" but it would take about 30 to walk to her house. So naturally, I just laughed at him because it was such a ridiculous statement. Then he got mad because "you never laugh at my face!" As he said. Then I just laughed again and said "fine, lets go there then!" Then he got mad and threw his folder on the ground (which exploded), then told me he was going to call president because "this just really isn't working", then he politely told me to shut up and go to hell, then he asked me if I wanted to punch him and got up in my face and stuck his arms out and told me he was ready whenever I wanted to fight. Now this entire time I was literally just laughing and was just saying "wait, are you being serious right now?" then I would just start laughing again. It was hilarious. But like 10 min after the one-sided fight, we were fine. Well, not that I hadn't been fine, but he finally cooled down atleast. Oh the wonders of living with just one other man!


But really, it actually is pretty sweet working with him because he is actually really funny and is an extremely good teacher. Sometimes I just sit there and listen while he teaches because I think I am learning just as much as our investigators (that and I think he enjoys hearing himself talk so he talks...a lot). But yeah, it's actually pretty good with him here.


Well, I actually am out of time. Sorry this is way short. Just know that I am doing fine here and that the language and this whole missionary stuff is coming along swimmingly. Thanks for all the support and prayers, love ya!


-Elder Brent Parsons

No comments: