Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Welcome to February!

Good to hear that all is well on the home-front. Thanks for the Super Bowl update Grandpa! I am sure that my friend Ben is STILL having a bit of a rough time while serving his mission in Pittsburgh due to all the drunks that I am sure are roaming the streets. Hey! That's just like a regular day here!

My companion has been here for a year and 4 months and doesn't even put up with the drunks anymore. Usually I like to entertain myself (and them) by actually answering their questions and responding to their comments just because I think it is hilarious when they stumble through their answers or tell me that I am beautiful, but my companion just yells (literally) at them to shut up and go home. He definitely could do something a bit less destructive to the Church's image, but you know...each to his own.


Speaking of my companion we's doing good! Like really. In the past two days we have taught 20 lessons. We leave the house early and walk like crazy in the blazing heat to get those lessons...but it's worth it.

Actually we had a hilarious lesson this week. We showed up at this house and "clapped" at the door. A girl of about 18 years came out and greeted us. We explained who we were and asked if there was anyone else in the house that would like to hear the message too...she said "yes" and yelled at the house for someone to come out. So then another girl of about 15 years came out...and then two more girls of about 18 or 19 poked their heads out the window. Then the mom looked out the door. Then their little girl cousin came out of the house above them. Then 6 little girls came running out the door towards us. I looked at my companion and he was just as surprised as I was. This house was full of just women! I don't know how they fit all of them in their! In the end their were 5 girls between the ages of 12 and 20, plus their six little girls (yes, the 20 year-old has 2 girls...one that is 5 years old. The 18 year-old had 2 kids too, and the 15 year old was following her big sister's examples and was pregnant as well).

We taught all of them out in front of their house because we both were petrified to go into the house due to the mountain of girls we saw before us. The lesson was fine and afterward I told my companion that we had just found a rabbit's nest in our area. It was so funny...I really hope they come to church with us on Sunday, not just because of that whole exaltation thing but also because it would be so funny to show up with all of them.


That would really show the primary instructors who controls this ward!


So we were sent a little kid this week that "fell from heaven" as they say here. Literally though. He is 9 years old and his parents are less-active members but they came up to us and said they want him to get baptized. And seeing as he is 9 years old he has to be taught all of the lessons and after the mom asked us if we could baptize him. So that's what we will be doing this Friday night!

Oh yeah we had Zone Conference last Thursday and I got to see my old comp from the CTM Elder Blackham! He is a little chubster! He put on 20 pounds of fat on his small little frame it's hilarious. I miss that kid, and it was good to talk to him. He was there as one of the Assistant's companions because his old companion is a slacker and he told President...then his companion found out and started threatening him. So then he got emergency transfered. Hooray! I am not alone in my struggles.

Until next week my friends! Love ya'll! Keep on writin'!


-Elder Brent Parsons

No comments: