Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Great Conference

How about Conference eh? Yeah that was pretty sweet. Especially because us Americans in my zone got to go to a room in the chapel all by ourselves and watch it in the wonderful language of English. It wasn't working for the Saturday Morning session so we had to watch it in Portuguese and it was just not the same. When you have grown up your whole life listening to these inspired men with their own voices and everything but then you have to switch and listen to someone else's voice translating...just doesn't work.

Conference was also like 10 times better as a missionary. It just seems so much applicable and practical. It was all extremely good but I think Jefferey R. Holland's talk about us feeling alone but then telling the story of Christ's life and how he was alone as well was probably my favorite. I was so grateful for the opportunity I had to listen to it in English too because nobody can replace the ability he has to give discourses. All in all it was great.


The down side about conference is that I didn't get to work tons in my area and with my comp this week. My comp is pretty cool. Last transfer I guess he just slacked off the whole time but he says he wants to get back on track this transfer and get some real work done so that's good I guess. He pretty much will work at whatever level that I am going to work. In other words, if I work hard then he will too but if I turn into one of those missionaries that just sits at a lan house all day then he'll be right at my side too. But don't worry, I am choosing to do the former.


Speaking of that we have been working pretty hard this week to make up for the lost time last transfer. Not that Elder Lemos and I didn't work...it was just a different kind of work. More like the work between psychaitrist and patient. But whatevs...we're good now.

We at least have one baptism coming up named Fransisco. We have been working with him for a while and he is way cool. He is just here for a little while because he is just here to work for a bit to gain some money but then he will go back to his family in the nearly Amazonish state of Tochantins (I actually have no idea how to spell that). He loves the church though and LOVED General Conference.

He has been trying to stop smoking as of late. It was funny because on Monday we told him we were going to call him everyday to make sure he didn't smoke and I called him last night at 7:45 but I had told him I would call him at 7:00 but I called late because we ended up teaching an unexpected lesson with some crazy lady. He answered and was like "I have been sitting here for the past 45 min wanting to smoke really bad but I knew how angry you would be at me if I smoked so I have been just sitting here in the chair with the phone in my hand waiting for you to call so I could tell you that I didn't smoke." It was so funny...and kind of sad because I kept him waiting. But mostly just funny.


All the talk about Barack Obama has kind of just faded away here...I don't think anyone here cares about anything other than having a black president...and now that they have one they don't want to talk about him anymore. Who cares about the president's pork barrel spending? He's black! Thus he has had a hard life and thus he deserves to spend our tax dollars whichever way he pleases! Leave him alone!


Idiots.


Well anyway, I love to hear about anything that is going on their in the blessed USA...or about your lives. Sorry I don't have much to say...but I don't. LOVES AND KISSES! Farewell.


-Elder Parsons

No comments: