Wednesday, June 10, 2009

And I'm NOT in London Either...

Oh how great the mission is. I mean...to be here in Brazil with only another 20 year old Brazilian boy to keep me company while my family enjoys the wonderful delights that Paris/London have to offer. Oh how easy and wonderful it is!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope everyone has at least one chance in their life to feel all these great feelings that I am feeling at this moment.

JK man...I'm good. I know my time will come to relax.


And besides, I am having my fair share of delicious experiences here in Sorocaba, like the one I had on Monday! I freakin hitch-hiked! It was so awesome. I did a division and I guess in there area they can either take a bus or hitch hike to get to this one neighborhood that is really far away. The Elders there don't like to spend money on buses...so they just hitch hike haha.

So it sounded like it could be fun so we did it. It was really funny actually. We hitch hiked there with this cool guy, then on the way back we finally waved a guy down and he stopped for us. I opened up the door and said "Thank you for stopping!" Then I heard this extremely flaming gay voice answer back "Your welcome! I am only doing it because you guys are men of god!" I thought..."oh crap". But we got in anyway.

Well turns out that he is openly gay and it shows by his clothes and voice. But he was cool enough so we started to make some small talk and he told us that he had already had the missionaries over at his house. I said "woah, that's cool. Have you ever been to church?" He said he had been tons of times but never got baptized. I asked him as we were getting closer to our house (he insisted on going out of his way by getting off the highway, driving a few more miles and dropping us off at our front door) "So why did the missionaries stop teaching you and why did you stop going to church?" He said "Well, they used to come to my house all the time, it was a Brazilian and a American. Well, long story short the American was GORGEOUS and I ended up falling in love with him. Unfortunately his companion noticed that I had fallen in love with him and that I was flirting tons with him...so they never came back. I was so sad.

Then, a few months later, some other missionaries came back to my house and asked if they could come in and share a message. They were both really fat and ugly Americans so I said no."...my goodness. I literally just bursted out laughing in the middle of the car. I couldn't contain myself. He didn't get offended or anything though and he dropped us off at our house in peace. It was hilarious.


Oh yeah, I did that division because I had to do some baptismal interviews for them. The interviews were awesome. I have decided that I love having a calling as a leader in the mission. Not because I get to order people around or anything but because I
1) I get to know tons of missionaries and their background and everything
2) I get to get out of my area sometimes and see what the other areas are like and
3) I get to see all the great investigators that the other areas have and how so many people are choosing to follow the teachings of Christ and change their lives.
It's extremely...fulfilling.


Transfers are next Wednesday! I am hoping to get transferred. We are going to have a baptism this Saturday (Galdir. That lady that stopped us on the street as we were walking and asked us to prayer for her son) but that is it for this transfer. However, next transfer looks like there should be tons of baptisms (maybe even around 7 or 8) but I will be honest...I am pretty sick of the area. I would award it the most repetitive area of the mission...and everyone that has done a division here with me would agree.

My ZL was like "wow...I don't know if I could handle being in this area for as long as you have...and you haven't even been here THAT long." Which is true. This is only my 3rd transfer here (4 and 1/2 months) but I think the time has arrived for a change. We will see though. My ZL said my companion and I won't stay together another transfer (we have 2 transfers together) so either him or I will go, and I have been here longer. Who knows though, anything can happen.


Love y'all! Hope the week goes well for everyone.


-Elder Brent Parsons

1 comment:

Curt said...

Hello, I love reading your blog. I have a son that just started his mission in Brazil. This is his second week in the MTC, and he'll be serving in the Goiania mission. I have question, if you don't mind. I was wondering if you have any advice or tips about sending packages to Brazil to your your missionary? Especially with sensitive things like prescription drugs or a new debit card. Any input you could give me would be great. I'll follow comments on here with my email, so if you just comment on this thread of comments I should get it in my email.

Thanks!

Curt Lytle