Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Death of a True American Hero: Billy Mays

I was truly saddened to be informed of the death of the TRUE American Hero this week. The man who death has unfortunately been overshadowed by a lesser and whiter "star": Billy Mays.

I am sure the media has only talked about the death of Michael Jackson and thus the death of Billy Mays has not been given the attention and gratitude that he undoubtedly deserved. Billy Mays has done countless paid-programming commercials for a wide variety of cleaning/houseware products. Often his commercials came hand in hand with the thought "Why is he yelling at me!? I may call and by his product just to get him to stop yelling at me." However, without his constant yelling I truly would have never known of OxyClean's complete superiority over the other stain-removal competition.

Now you finally have time to rest your voice Billy, rest in peace. There is no need to yell now...


I thank my big bro Ryan for being the ONLY person to inform me of this Fallen Hero's death. Shame on all of you for not putting your priorities straight!


Anyway, speaking of Michael Jackson he really is like the 8th wonder of the world here. I am not even kidding. EVERYBODY, and yes I really do mean EVERYBODY loves him. It's really not healthy. I have yet to here a song play on the street here since his death that wasn't one of his. An Elder that went home this week because he finished his mission (the one that was living with me for the past two weeks) LOVED him and was one of his biggest fans. He never cried in front of us but admitted to shedding a few tears for the fallen hero on his own. To the dismay of many I was completely unaffected by Michael Jackson's passing. But you know...I am becoming heartless and cold here on the mission. Jill/Mom "What!?" Me "Yes mom, it is true."


Me wants to see Harry Potter VI.


Well the life and the mission go on here in Julio de Mesquita. The 2 elders who were living with us for the past two weeks left yesterday morning and are now having a wonderful lunch with their mommies. Freak. All they left for us here in our house is a air heavy and full of "trunkiness" (homesickness) that has slowly been consuming us the past 2 weeks. But alas, I have got over the feeling and I am fine here, no need to worry mother.


So with the two Elders "deaths" my companion and I have now truly taken over their area and will start the work their immediately. We have been especially tired the last few days because we have had to think and abnormal amount about the best and most effective ways to do the work here in the area. We have some ideas and we will see if they turn out well. It is pretty mentally draining though.


This Saturday we are going to have a baptism! Nycoly (yes...that is how you spell her name) is going to be baptized. She is the girl in the video of me and her throwing her cat back in forth (it was awesome). Her mom is also preparing herself to be baptized. They are way cool and even send pictures and letters to my parents.


Well I am off to clean the house that the 4 of us have pretty much destroyed in the last 2 weeks. Now that the other 2 are gone it should be easier to clean and keep clean. This will be the first time in my 10 and half months of the mission that I will live with just me and my companion. Crazy! Should be cool...and different. Farewell!


- Elder Brent Parsons




No comments: